With a wide range of different subjects to choose from, there is a course for everybody at Thomas Telford UTC. Whether you wish to study at GCSE or GCE, you will find a programme to suit you.
The Key Stage 3 curriculum that we offer is broad and balanced. However, the UTC also specialises in the fields of Innovate, Design and Build, equipping our students with the academic, technical and employability skills for successful future careers and lives. The UTC aims to provide our young people with a unique combination of excellent academic achievement and unparalleled employability skills. The combination of employer mentors, extensive work experience, an employer developed curriculum incorporating real-world projects, specialist facilities and a professional work environment is designed to provide an outstanding education for all learners.
The UTC aims to provide a first-class education where students, parents and staff alike have the highest expectations of academic success, career progression, personal development, attendance and behaviour. This will develop into recognition of the UTC as a beacon for the highest quality academic and technical education. Students, regardless of background, will make outstanding progress from their starting points. Governors will challenge and hold leaders to account to ensure that there is a sustained commitment to achieving an outstanding education for all students. Students of the UTC will develop and demonstrate skills and attitudes that will allow them to participate fully in and contribute positively to life in modern Britain.
The curriculum has been designed to equip pupils with the knowledge and cultural capital they need to succeed in life beyond the UTC. By ensuring that we employ teaching staff with expert subject knowledge as well as previous industry experience we aim to deliver a curriculum which promotes academic rigour and the value of scholarship alongside exceptional links with employers and projects which engender real life appreciation of cutting-edge technology and its application to 21st century ventures. The personal development of our students is a central pillar to their education at the UTC, and we believe this approach therefore develops the whole individual not just their academic skills.
At the Thomas Telford UTC (TTUTC) our curriculum is different to other schools and traditional types of learning. Students can choose from one of our programme pathways in Design, Build or Innovate. This will team academic subjects with practical learning.Years 10 and 11 – a combination of academic and technical learning. Students will gain up to seven GCSEs and two technical awards. Young people who join us at 14 will study GCSEs for 60% of their timetable. For the remaining 40% they’ll be working with local employers on technical projects using industry standard equipment within our Design, Build and Innovate programmes. Students will also take part in enrichment activities that encourage interests beyond the normal Thomas Telford UTC curriculum – this can include sport and outdoor activities, voluntary and charity work, art, music and creative activities, and can also include projects and school competitions.
At the Thomas Telford UTC our curriculum is different to other schools and traditional types of learning. Students can choose from one of our programme pathways in Design, Build or Innovate. This will team academic subjects with practical learning, and core subjects alongside a small number of optional subjects up to GCSE or A Level equivalentThe Sixth Form curriculum provides considerable breadth and depth for students through a range of vocational and academic courses. There is something for everyone irrespective of ability. Students will study three or four A Level's or vocational courses. The pathways that a student can take are flexible and all students will receive full support when making decisions.
T Levels are new courses coming in September 2021, which will follow GCSEs and will be equivalent to 3 A Levels. These 2-year courses have been developed in collaboration with employers and businesses so that the content meets the needs of industry and prepares students for work. T Levels will offer students a mixture of classroom learning and ‘on-the-job’ experience during an industry placement of at least 315 hours (approximately 45 days). They will provide the knowledge and experience needed to open the door into skilled employment, further study or a higher apprenticeship. To find out more about T-Levels at Thomas Telford UTC, please use the link below to go to our dedicated webpage.